For my sound walk, I chose to listen to the noises and observe the area around me at Grand Central Terminal. I commute on the Metronorth train every day, and thus always walk through this location - except, I always have earbuds on and am always listening to music. I generally don’t pay much attention to people (unless they have a dog) and stay focused on getting to my destination while enjoying my music. Before starting this assignment, I tried to imagine what I hear when I’m in Grand Central and I couldn’t think of what exactly the space sounds like, besides some sort of jumble of noises.
It is now 7PM at Grand Central. It’s fairly crowded and I see someone rushing to get somewhere almost everywhere I turn. While the majority of people are running to their track to catch their train, I wonder if some people have somewhere drastic to be. I hear a group of tourists’ dialogues and they seem to be speaking Korean. They’re trying to figure out where or how to go somewhere. It makes me remember the days when I first started taking the subway in high school; I was perplexed at how a person could know exactly where they were going with this confusing, colorful map. It made no sense to me for months upon months, but now I’m an expert. I hear the noise coming from an announcement. Track change. There are conversations going on everywhere. While I can't hear everyone's exact dialogues, I hear everyone's voices as a whole as I listen to the noises. While one can see that Grand Central is always busy place around peak hour, you can even hear how busy it is. I listen in on a couple conversations and just observe. In one minute: A couple is debating on what food they should get. It's a funny debate, they both seem starving and cranky, but can't choose where to eat. A baby is crying loudly, but stops as soon as her dad gives her/him a toy. A man is playing his music probably way too loud as I can hear his music through his headphones as he walks past me.
A couple minutes later, I hear an announcement that states not to sit on the stairs of Grand Central. But I see about 6, now 7 people sitting on the stairs of Grand Central in front of the Apple Store. I've heard that announcement a few times before, but have never seen people not sitting on the stairs – maybe only when it’s really late at night. I've realized I'm pretty oblivious to the noises around me on my every day commutes, however, interestingly, I feel like I can hear a new noise after a new noise, even though I'm in the same spot, next to the center clock. I feel like Grand Central perfectly demonstrates how NYC people are always on the go or in a hurry, which is how I feel during the week. It was pleasing to calmly listen and simply observe what’s really going on with other real people, in spite of usually rushing from place to place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extra Credit on Darya Zhuk’s Crystal Swan (2018)